Thursday 14 February 2013

Shot Types

Shot types are vital to make a film look professional and to offer a range of perspectives for the film to be seen with. When filming I must always make sure I use a variety of shot types and angles, but always utilize them professionally and artistically within the film. The major ones that I will focus on include;

Establishing Shot- An establishing shot is often used to create the setting for the film, so the viewer become absorbed into the setting that the protagonist and the other characters live within. I will avoid using this in my film as I would like the setting, like my protagonist, to appear to be anywhere, so the watcher can apply the simple setting to their own lives
Low Angle Shot- This shot is used when looking down on something, be it a character or object. I want to use this occasionally, particularly when the man is working in the office, symbolizing him feeling small in his workplace and his small stance in life. I also want to do this later on when he is stalked by Jokerface
High Angle Shot- This is used in film to look up at something, where the feature is higher, and it often symbolizes power. As my main character is a weak character, I don't think I will use this as much, but I will use it when I have a P.O.V shot from the mask in the alley
Zoom- This technique is common in film and TV to focus in on a certain person or object, and is one of the simplest yet most effective techniques. I will not use this too much, but I will try to include it to emphasize the villains hidden presence at certain key moments
Track- Track shots are used to follow someone as they walk, and can get the viewer more in the mindset of the protagonist and focus on the setting that he walks through. I would like to incorporate this with the scenes in the alley 
P.O.V- This is used to get more of an insight into the protagonists eyes and movement, and appear to be seeing these things as they happen. This is used more than ever in modern horrors, particularly in films like Blair Witch Project, and whilst I may use it a few times in my film, I doubt I will use it too much as I want it to act out as a conventional story.
Extreme Close Up- Extreme Close Ups are used to show certain things on a protagonists body, particularly hands, mouths and eyes. I want to use this often in my film, particularly in the opening montage in the office.
Close Up- Close Ups are generally a shot of a character showing the face, neck and shoulders. I will use this shot often to show the protagonists frustration and fear through his face.

Long Shot- A shot used to show not only the individual being focused on but also part of his surroundings. It generally focuses on the whole of the individual. I will most likely use this shot often due to Horrors needing to leave it open to somewhere the villain may be hiding

Insert Shot- This shot is used to focus on a certain object. I will use this shot a few times, most notably in the scene with the pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment