Tuesday 20 November 2012

Review of Work 1

So far I have found out various information over the traditional conventions and stereotypes of Horror Texts. If I am to create a popular Horror Film for the public I must follow these conventions whilst also being original with the content. For Example, elements I will have to consider over the coming weeks include;

 > The Look for my Horror Villain- all successful slashers have an iconic looking villain (Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees etc.) so I need to consider what mine will look like. As I have a small budget to work with for costumes I need to get I will not be able to create such complex makeup that would be used creating Freddy's burnt face for example so I will have to use a cheaper outfit, like Ghostface from Scream.

 > The Setting- To create a Horror atmosphere, the majority of Horror Films have similar settings. These settings are imprinted into the mind of the audience and are intertwined conventions of the genre. Typical settings include Gothic Castles (Dracula), Mental Hospitals (Shutter Island), Forests (Friday the 13th) and Mansions (Woman in Black). But in more recent Horror films the setting has shifted to just being in a regular house, this makes it more horrifying in the fact it could be any house, even the person who is watching the film. This will make it seem more real and create more feelings of real Horror within the film. Also filming in a normal house will be more affordable and easy for my film.
> The Storyline- My story for my film must be original but must also fit the conventional storyline for a horror film. For example, it must have a macabre atmosphere and must not be treated as comnical, but can have some hidden humour. Deaths are also common in most Horror Films.

All of these I will have to consider as I move on into the planning stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment